EMI. That's a lot of noise!

I was working on the printer today and discovered that the steppers are pushing out huge amounts of EMI (electro-magnetic interference). I discovered this as I was trying to take a measurement with my calipers near to one of the motors and the figures were jumping all over. 

I initially suspected a low battery but very quickly discovered that it is in fact interference from the motors and their cables.In fact the interference is so marked that even moving the calipers, powered off, close to a motor will force them to switch on and cause numbers to flash. 

Pick a number

I have also noticed that there is an effect too to the TFT screen. It works, but if I go into a setting for something like temperature while a print is running then the figures there jump up and down too. This is only apparent since I have moved to the new, longer cables and moved the unit itself, which is logical. 

I'm obviously going to need to add creating shielding to the to-do list. 


Visit the main content pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: delayed but not forgotten

Update: Mopping up

SKR1.4 and TFT 35 - using long file names and print from SKR SD card