To do: Create Neopixel power injector

When I bought the Neopixel strips for my light bar, I bought three different densities: 30, 60 and 144 LEDs per metre in 0.5m lengths. There is about a 30 LED limit on the LEDs which the SKR1.4 mainboard can support. So, I used the 30pm for testing as there were only 15 LEDs there and then built the light bar with the 60pm ones and managed to fit 19 into the bar. 

Neopixel Strips in 30, 60 and 144 pm

In theory, I could get a greater light density (and higher brightness if needed) by using the 144pm and that would give me around 47 LEDs. However, this would draw too much current from the mainboard. 

The obvious option is to use a separate PSU for the 5V rail on the Neopixels and use only the Data line from the mainboard. To do this I need a cheap buck converter to output the 5V directly from a 24V feed from the PSU. 

So, the project will be:

  • Order an appropriately (c3A) rated converter (this I have done, from Ali Express)
  • Create a case to mount to the chassis
  • Modify the wiring harness to interpose the new power source into the Neopixel feed
This isn't a high priority, but it's now on the list.  


Visit the main content pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: delayed but not forgotten

Update: Mopping up

SKR1.4 and TFT 35 - using long file names and print from SKR SD card