More mopping up and a delivery arrives!

Despite having changed it already, I was still not altogether happy with the mount for my Y axis cable chain where it meets the bed. I had lowered it to accommodate the BL-Touch, but I then also replaced the glass bed with with a thinner magnetic PEI-coated flexy bed. This made the bed a millimetre or so lower which made me wince every time the BL-Touch headed in the direction of the connector. 

So, I went back to the drawing board and completely redesigned the fixing, changing it from a single horizontal screw above the mount to a pair of shorter vertical screws and a thin clamp bar. I also tweaked the fitting by a millimetre to bring the mounting just a little nearer to the bed, now that the glass top is no longer there. 

I moved from this


To this new version



Which now sits very flush, as can be seen here. Another change I made to it was to remove one small support bar at the rear. Although this provided some theoretical extra support across the mount, it  did mean that the 2mm or so of plastic meant that the mount couldn't be fitted in situ, instead requiring the cabling to be completely re-run. So, I removed this and it made the installation a doddle. 

I know that there have been some remixes of my earlier designs to remove the screws altogether and simply clip to the connector, but I feel that the screws are more positive and I think that this new design is a definite improvement too. Obviously, for those who aren't exceeding the Y axis in the way that I am, the original is perfectly fine too. 

I have been working on a couple of other things today. Firstly, I was tweaking the first prototype of the EEPROM slot which I've built into the lid of my SKR mainboard case. 

This is the early version, but it was pretty close and has allowed me to create a very slight change to make it more solid. 

Another thing I have been working on is some designs for a pair of drawers to fit under the front of the printer. There is a fair amount of space under there and there are always things which need to be squirreled away.

This is only a very early design, but hopefully the intention is clear. The idea is to fit two side-by-side.

I also tried some changes with Automatic Bed Levelling today. I have written before about how I was having trouble with the bilinear levelling (it seemed to be making things worse rather than better), so I decided to experiment with the newer UBL (Unified Bed Levelling) as I really had nothing to lose. It's early days, but it does look a lot better. So, I will persevere with that for a while. 

A final bit of news: my shielded cable arrived from AliExpress already. This was remarkably quick. So, I plan to make up a test shielded stepper motor cable to see whether I can at least reduce the dreadful EMI which they're generating. I have read some posts online and (certainly for CNC machines) shielding the motors and the cabling to the steppers seems to be fairly common. 





Visit the main content pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: delayed but not forgotten

Update: Mopping up

SKR1.4 and TFT 35 - using long file names and print from SKR SD card